Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Hearts and Noses Wyatt a "Little Warrior"

Wyatt a “Little Warrior”

On February 14th my sister yelled out that I had a pig sitting down outside. On a summer day this wouldn’t have raised any red flags but on a cold snow covered day I ran to see who she was talking about. Wyatt was sitting and dragging his bottom, then up kicking at his belly then taking the stance to pee and the symptoms were repeated. I had gone threw this before with my First pig Willy and knew this pig couldn’t urinate.

Knowing he needed to be at least catherised in order to relieve his bladder as we had done with Willy I called our emergency vet. Now this little one is timid so our vet used a blow dart to get the tranquilizer in him and then we brought him into the house. Opting not to perform surgery here as no way were we able to grasp onto his tools with out opening him up we hoped muscle relaxers would loosen up the probable kidney stones blocking his urethra.

24 hours later this pig was in trouble I could see even though I treated him homoeopathically all night was filling up with fluids. If I did not get him rushed to a clinic his bladder would burst and he would die.

Rushed an hour away we got him into a clinic where a good vet catherised him and inserted a small tube into his bladder to relieve the urine and we brought him home. Within 24 hours we were back to the same state and we rushed him once again. This time our veterinarian with an article in hand recommended we operate and relieve the pig’s bladder and then insert a Foley catheter. Wyatt spent that night there and the following morning an accident by an intern had Wyatt back on the operating table to repeat the procedure and this time he spent the next four nights there.

Wyatt still unable to pee on his own when we brought him home but we hoped with a special feed it would dissolve the stones. And daily I would close the catheter and ask him to go outside and try . He would try so hard and then I would open the catheter to release his urine and bring him back inside. We ordered special acidifier tablets to feed Wyatt and started him on those and our miracle happened in four days. How he suffered the day they dislodged but we were on the road to recovery now!

Wyatt is still in the house being monitored as the catheter is now out and we want to make sure he is all better before putting back out with his herd.

Wyatt’s life saving procedures has cost $2544.99 to date and he is happily oofing away on his bed of blankets beside me. I tell him “you will be back with your herd pretty soon Wyatt, but we have to make sure your ready”. To Help Wyatt Please Visit:


  1. Shannon, Reading about Wyatt nearly broke my heart. I can relate to your situation. We've spent nearly $4500 on our bionic mutt (Hoover who has a pacemaker). It makes me feel better knowing there are other people who love their animal family members so much that money isn't an issue. Our pig Kirby once did the same straining to pee, luckily it turned out to be a simple UT infection.

  2. Janice you are very welcome I hope it helps...

    Cori thank you very much for taking the time to read the story. Wyatt is an awesome kid. I wish hoover the best of health. sounds like he is a cool kid. Pigs more so the boy pigs then the girl pigs seemt o get peeing problems I have 1 boy vinny who is always getting bladder infections I think he does not drink enough water.

  3. Cori you made me laugh and smile!!! Hoover is so lucky to ahve you and is a warrior too!!!

    Shannon thank you for all taht you do!!

    Wyatt is still getting his special tablets daily but has returned to the herd!